It is not possible here to describe in even the barest outlines the chequered career of the
plan proposals, as they wound their way through the municipal apparatus. It was obvious
at the very first meetings in the working subcommittee that opinions were many and
various and conflict inevitable. In order to get things moving, and also to prevent
unplanned development, a partial plan referring to a minor and largely unbuilt part of
Östermalm was approved in 1875.26 Essentially it followed the Lindhagen Committee’s
block divisions, but omitted the proposed diagonal street. This proved to be the first of
several fatal blows to the Committee’s proposal. Another was that the new city engineer,
Rudolf Brodin, as well as the newly appointed building director, C.J. Knös, were
commissioned at the beginning of 1876 to produce a new plan proposal.